Sunday, September 22, 2013

Glassed Over

In my Art 4/AP Art class we were given a list of themes to choose from.  It is our job to branch out form these themes and create artwork that says something about us and speaks to the viewers in a certain way.  In order for me, the artist, to relay a message to a viewer I must choose from the list of topics we are given and the list of medias we can use to portray my feelings and thoughts.

The first project I created was under the theme Glassed Over.  I made a list and brainstormed everything that came to my mind when I thought of what glassed over could mean. My brainstorming and rough sketches are showed in the image below.

Next I found references that would help me sketch out my artwork.  I chose the topic of distortion to portray my idea of glassed over by taking the term both figuratively and literally.  I decided to create a winter scene with a iced over lake with a layer of cut glass over the final product. My references can be seen in the image below.


The final step before creating my final piece was to sketch out my idea.  I used my references and small sketches to draw out my final idea in my sketchbook. This is where the fun and creating begins!


Now its time to create the final piece.  After all the research and planning I have done I know pretty much what the final product will look like.  I chose the oil paint media to work with the create a glossy look in my painting.  I am very familiar with acrylic paints but oils were a whole new experience.  The oil paints were much thicker than acrylic paint and the patients you must have with oils can be the difference between a smeared, sloppy piece and a clean cut finished piece. At first I had my painting done in all earth tones.  The look was very dull and boring. I knew I had much more in me.  I began placing very bold colors onto my canvas and the painting began to come alive.  To keep the same idea of iced (or glassed) over I dry brushed some white over the colors.  Dry brushing allows some of the old bold colors to shine and show through the white layer.  The final step (the literal part) is when I cut a piece of replacement glass to be placed on top of my final piece.  This was the hardest step because I had never worked with anything similar to cutting glass.  I got better at it the more I practiced but I don't think I will be using much glass in my future projects. It is a time consumer and in this fast paced class I do not have much time to waste. I am very happy with my final product (shown below) and have learned a whole new media to work with in this creating process.


Glassed Over
Allison Snyder

Medium: Oil Paint and Glass
September 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment